Sunday, September 20, 2009

That boy ain't right.


While I'm happy that the Raiders were able to squeak out a win against the Chiefs today, I'm also a little sad that last Sunday saw the last new episode ever of King of the Hill. I know most people find Hank and company dull, heck its hard to compete against the Simpsons' zaniness and Family Guy's insanity, but King of the Hill was one of the most consistent shows on Fox's Sunday night line up. I don't think any other cast of cartoon characters on a prime time show have ever shown the kind of character development and growth that King of the Hill has. I know most people will say that Mike Judge's greatest creations are Beavis and Butthead or Office Space, and while I hold an affection for those two pieces of Americana, I think it will be King of the Hill that will be remembered 50 years from now.


But for now I'm left with a sadness and sense of joy at the passing of this great Sunday night institution. 13 seasons is a heck of a run and I'm glad Fox was gracious enough to give them a proper series finale, unlike the stabbing in the back that Futurama got. So here's to you Hank, Peggy, Bobby, Luann, Dale, Bill, Boomhauer, Kahn, Minh, Connie, Joseph, Nancy, John Redcorn, and the rest of a cast of characters who have helped make Sunday night one of my favorites. You will be missed.


Keep watching this space.

No comments: