Sunday, January 10, 2010

2010, the year the laughter died

It happens at the end of every year on radio; all the morning talk shows go on their two week break, and I'm left listening to reruns or the same damn song played ad nauseum through the holiday season. Typically it makes working the last two weeks extra tedious but there is always the promise of a brand new year morning show bliss. Unfortunately for my coworker, she was looking at the 2010 without her beloved Mikey Show. While I felt bummed at the news that Mikey would no longer be on Rock 105.3, it didn't bother me too much because I am a DSC fan. Still, the situation with the Mikey show, and the Jeff and Jerr cancellation earlier in the year as well as some ominous comments by Dave on their last show made my spider sense tingle.


Finally, the first Monday of the new year came and I climbed into my car and flipped the radio to KGB and was greeted with music. My heart sank, I knew what it meant, then the announcement came that the DSC was no more. According to the station, they were offered a lucrative contract and turned it down. What they don't tell you is that the DSC was contracted to run through 2010. So why were they removed from the air? Why is Clear Channel killing all the top rated morning shows in San Diego? I have no clue, my best guess is money, its always about money and at least SDRadio.net seems to confirm that guess.


I'm sure the DSC will end up somewhere, they are just too good at their jobs to not land on a station some where. My hope is that they still broadcast in SD. Oh well, at least the Simpsons are still going strong. Here's to twenty more years.




Keep watching this space, and the Simpsons every Sunday at 8pm on Fox.

No comments: