Sunday, January 17, 2010

Jumping on the Bandwagon

While I was born a Raiders fan and will bleed silver and black till the day I die, I must face the fact that they are not in the playoffs. Hell, they probably won't return to the playoffs until there are some major changes in management. I'm looking at you Mr. Davis. Anyways, because of this dilemma I need to pick a team to cheer for, and while it pains me to do it, I've decided on the San Diego Chargers.

My reasoning for this controversial selection is quite simple; I want a new football stadium in the city of San Diego. I love the fact that we have football here in San Diego and if the city doesn't build a new stadium then that means the Chargers will bolt for LA and the new stadium being built in the City of Industry. I do not want to have to take my son up to LA in order for him to see the Raiders play. I just don't want to drive that far on a Sunday.

The way I see it, the Padres got their new ballpark when they went to the World Series. Since they didn't win, the whole project was threatened by numerous legal actions and city wide votes but eventually they built the damned thing and downtown has become a nice place to hang out. If the Chargers go to the Superbowl, they get that much closer to having a new stadium, but they still need to win the big game. See, unlike in 1996 when the Padres failed, San Diego 2010 is facing large financial problems, and there are more people in the city who do not want the city to waste money on a building that a small portion of the population would use. They would much rather spend that money on libraries, you know places everyone wants to go to. So in order for the new stadium to be built without countless legal challenges is for the Chargers to win the whole damn thing and if it takes me cheering them on in order for it to happen then I'll swallow my pride and take one for the team.

So there it is. For the first time in my life I will root for the San Diego Super Chargers to finally get their rings and as an added bonus a new stadium for me to take my son to every time the Raiders come to town. Hopefully by then, the team will have more going for them then just McFadden. So go Chargers, we're all counting on you. Don't give me another reason to hate you more then I already do.

By the way, they should play this video at every home game from now and till the end of time and gives me more of a reason to support the home team.



Now wave to your mom. She's in the stands. Keep watching this space. Go Chargers!

2 comments:

NobodyDoesn'tLike said...

Thanks a lot for that! See what happens when you jump on bandwagons. How about you stick with those Raiders =) Chargers do much better when you can't stand them.

Berticus B. Bertrude said...

It was all part of my devious plan to jinx the Chargers. I had 100 bucks on the Jets. I knew what would happen. Just kidding. I really do want the new stadium though. If the Chargers leave SD we will NEVER have another football team. I won't live in a football-less town.